Actually, not a Crown of Thorns starfish...

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NightDiver on October 08, 2002 at 10:40:18:

In Reply to: Re: Kauai Diving posted by Frank O on October 07, 2002 at 20:55:11:

Though I have seen several Crowns of Thorns diving in Kauai, including at Koloa Landing (aka Whaler's Cove), most avoid handling them for obvious reasons. This was a burrowing starfish that we found while crossing the sandy bottom...sorry, not a marine biologist by any stretch of the imagination.

My point with regard to handling of marine life was not that this was unique to SeaSport divers, and yes they have the largest and most well equipped store on the island from what I have seen. My point was more along the lines that I simply wish that it wasn't done anywhere, especially by DMS/SIs leading, in many cases, new divers and instilling bad habits.

I would and will dive again with SeaSport Divers and think they run a very good operation. I am a big fan of Nitrox and think that many of the boat diving profiles in Kauai really benefit from its use...another point in favor of SeaSport divers.

By the way, to echo Frank's point above, Koloa Landing is really a very nice shore dive with an easy entry from the launch ramp. The reef proceeds out to both the right and left of the ramp and I have seen numerous turtles on nearly every dive there. Also, the reef is loaded with various species of moreys, including dragon moreys. Have also seen large schools of jacks there.

DSAO,

NightDiver

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]