Been there myself...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NightDiver on October 10, 2002 at 09:22:09:

In Reply to: I have never bagged a big lobster posted by Havok1245 on October 09, 2002 at 15:14:14:

Havok -

I began getting back into lobster hunting about two years ago and, at the time, was frustrated by my relative lack of success. No trophy bugs and a good outing was two bugs, just over legal, in the bag (I am fairly anal about short bugs...if it's close, it's out. It's just not worth the ticket.)

As Chris noted, most divers are not going to share their secret spots. This doesn't mean that they won't point you in the right direction. I found that by diving, a lot, and spending quality time in the LDS getting to know the SIs, DMs, and other more experienced divers, I started to get invited more and more often to go lobster diving (enthusiasm wins out in the end). You'd be amazed at where you will find productive sites. BTW, the best secret spot is the one that produces all season, especially when the more popular spots are fished out.

I would suggest engaging frequently with your local dive community. Also, the more lobster dives you log, the better you're going to get at scanning a reef and picking out the spots where lobsters will be. Combine this awareness with a very active dive schedule and you'll start to find your own "secret spots." One more thing, I have found several of my more productive spots by swimming a little further than the average lobster diver wants to swim. If you are willing to do a little surface swimming to hit some of the outer reefs or more remote shore diving locations, you're going to be competing with less divers for more bugs.

Oh yeah, one more thing...remember, good diving conditions don't always mean good bug hunting conditions. My best lobster dive ever (at least from shore) was on a night when the conditions were lousy. In fact, my buddy and I had to do a near zero visibility swim, in a ripping current, with compass navigation all the way back in. However, my first bug was in the bag, at three pounds, under one minute into the dive. I literally dropped on him at the edge of the reef. Lots of moonlight, high visibility, and calm water conditions tend to keep the big bugs at home and make it really easy for them to see you coming.

DSAO,

NightDiver

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]