Dive Report - Haggerty's 10/11/02 20:00

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on October 11, 2002 at 00:37:06:

I met up with some guys at Vet's park for a night dive. I convinced everyone that Vets was boring and that we should try Haggerty's since the rock bottom is so much more interesting (and I would at least stand the chance of catching lobsters).

Haggerty's is the dive spot between Malaga Cove & Flat Rock in Palos Verdes. It has a steep little dirt path that leads to beach lined with large rocks. The path is steep but has always been relative easy in the past. There is one section where you have to use all fours, but it's short and has never caused any problems. The trail has SEVERLY degenerated in the last few weeks. Extra water for the drain pipe above the trail has turned the steepest part of the trail into very slippery mud. The dirt on the left side of the trail (looking from the water) has become really loose and slippery.

Three of us made it out into the water for a quick dive. The "red tide" is still around so vis was only about 4 ft! I didn't check the numbers, but the tide was really low so we had to stumble, fall, and drag ourselves over about 20-30 yards of partially submerged boulders before getting deep enough to swim.

We saw 1 lobster (short) and 2 good sized horn sharks in the 20 mins or so we battled the low vis.

Everyone got back up the hill OK and we finished the evening up with a quick meal at Rose's - the only restuarant we could find open in Redondo Beach after 10 PM!

Anxiously awaiting better vis in PV,
Ross-O

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]