DFG Source for Marine Protected Areas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NightDiver on October 11, 2002 at 15:25:32:

In Reply to: Lobster no-take areas? posted by Rolf on October 10, 2002 at 20:49:24:

This was posted previously, but did not appear in the main thread. Here is a reference site for what may and may not be taken within currently established MPAs in CA:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/mpa.html

There is also a link for maps if you don't know where some of these MPAs are. Note that the Heisler Park Ecological Reserve falls in the Laguna Beach Marine Life Reserve. Heisler Park is the area that Aaron was referring to in his post and no sealife can be taken in Heisler, but you can take lobster in the LB MLR. I posted earlier on the commercial traps at Heisler, so I won't get into it here; but, for the most part, the majority of those traps are placed outside of the ecological reserve (which extends 600' from the mean high tide line).

You can take lobster in Crystal Cove. Reef Point is a good spot, by the way, but gets difficult to access after dark (they close the lot). I think Little Corona is okay too, but haven't been diving there. That said, I would still suggest you speak to someone at F&G with local knowledge, especially if you have any question about where you are bug hunting.

DSAO,

NightDiver

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]