Last year alone, I 'helped' 2 divers on 2 different occasions...

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on October 30, 2002 at 07:55:41:

In Reply to: Re: Disagree with your disagree posted by Chuck Tribolet on October 29, 2002 at 16:25:33:

Don't want to use the word "rescue".... but both seemed they knew what they were doing....

One got swept away REAL FAST by the strong currents, and we luckily spotted him and called the dive boat from which he was diving (at this point, about 1.5 to 2 miles away). This was around the arch rock at Anacapa.

In the other instance, again, at the other end of Anacapa, the diver was unable to reach his anchored boat (he was OOA or low air? he was scramming on the surface, and getting nowhere). There wasn't anyone on his boat... Lucky for him, we happened to be around.

Do what you will, and as you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Having seen and experienced some stuff (I'm on my 4th boat. in order: 12-footer, 18-footer, 16-footer, 23-footer), I choose to follow my safety protocol. Still no guarrantee of safety, as unexpected things can ALWAYS happen, but I will avoid situations that I KNOW can put me/us in jeopardy in a moments notice whenever I can.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]