My advice is...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 11, 2002 at 15:57:55:

In Reply to: Advice on taking out a new diver needed.... posted by Eagle Ray on November 11, 2002 at 11:24:44:

I advise you to help him to develop good habits for diving. In particular, the habit of listening to on-board briefings, saying "hi" to the divemaster before he is too busy putting divers in the water, running through pre-dive checks, discussing fixed aspects of the dive plans with his buddy before every dive (...if we lose each other for more than a few moments, ascend a little and we will be able to see each other's bubbles. If we stay lost for X minutes, meet me on the surface -- but surface really slow and keep looking for me. I'll do the same..."). When new divers learn that experienced divers still do this, it will help them to have good habits that will enhance their diving for years to come.

I would also take a slate. Newbies want to communicate alot. It is less frustrating for each if there is an easy way to answer simple questions. A cheap magnadoodle works great and it erasable underwater.

Do a real good job navigating. They really appreciate finding the boat at the end of the dive.

Be patient, they really suck air. Shallow is always better with a newbie for many reasons, but bottom time based on remaining air is my favorite reason.

Have fun.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]