Re: Your point

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on December 17, 2002 at 11:47:23:

In Reply to: Your point posted by Capt Strange and Grumpy on December 12, 2002 at 16:36:07:

"The excuse to do so was based on the now proven to be flawed assumption that the Alaska otter population was a different species."

I've heard they are the same species and then some talk of sub-species. I understand the Sea Otter is a member of the weasel family. Hundreds of years ago the otter was prevalent throughout the Pacific rim from Japan to Southern California? They seem to love the cold, icy conditions and thrive in these harsh areas starting at the apex of the Northernmost tip of their range and extending southwards. The southern most extent of their range would not be the ideal condition for the otter or is this logic flawed? Wouldn't a translocation program North to Alaska thus reuniting the species or sub-species of otter lead to breeding a hardier animal and give them a better chance to survive? Although I've heard the Orca is somewhat feasting on them up north. If they couldn't survive at San Nic Is. doesn't that prove something?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]