PTF's M&M Year-End Review

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl S on January 09, 2003 at 11:02:36:

I categorized PTF's morbidity and mortality year-end review data, and this is what I got:

# deaths ... category

9 ... buddy separation during ordinary recreational diving
4 ... tech diving or penitrations
3 ... natural causes while diving (heart attack)
2 ... solo diving
1 ... hazardous sea life (jellyfish)
1 ... deep air by a non-tech diver
1 ... embolism by a recreational diver
1 ... CCR diver
4 ... drowning by other causes during scuba
5 ... other scuba deaths not specific

31 Total deaths in this database

9 out of 21 makes buddy separation during ordinary recreational diving the most dangerous situation, 43% for this database.

The next 3 spots are held by technical diving, natural causes while diving, and solo diving by non-tech divers.

PTF has given us a snapshot of scuba deaths, not necessarily world-wide or even limited to the USA. Its pretty informal.

The impression I get is that even though you are diving with a buddy, diving can still be hazardous. What does this imply? Should we each always carry a pony bottle? Are dive buddies a false sense of security? Those are all current scuba issues that come up regularly in the scuba literature.

One of the divers who died was an open water instructor, so you cannot say that expert training will make you any more safe during scuba.

We need to be aware that ANY scuba diving CAN BE hazardous at ANY TIME, and then plan accordingly. Planning is the key, I believe. And then dive your plan. That rule is as timeless as 'dont hold your breath on scuba.'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]