Personally?

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on January 17, 2003 at 14:37:09:

In Reply to: What would you have done? posted by Ken Kurtis on January 16, 2003 at 19:04:12:

I still don't believe any DM has the authority to tell any certified diver he cannot dive. The way I interpret NAUI's guidelines, it's our job to make sure they are fully informed, advise them of our views on the situation, see if they are open to possible better ways to handle similar situations or to avoid future problems -- and then ultimately make the rescue when they screw up yet again. DM is not a law enforcement position; and we shouldn't be put in a position where we're expected to prevent stupid.

Ken, I think you put your DMs in an untenable position and you put the crew in the even more awkward spot of refusing a service to a client for which the boat's owner has already accepted payment. As I have discussed with you before, I fully accept that you (as the charter) are entitled to establish whatever rules you choose. I just believe there might be a better means of enforcement. How about explaining your guidelines during the briefing as you already do (which, for those who don't know, is before departure so those who do not agree can still disembark), but instead of saying "if you do / don't do ______, we won't let you dive again today," how about "if you do / don't do ______, we would ask that you do not dive again for the day -- but should you choose to ignore our request you will not be allowed on any other Reef Seekers charter in the future." It may seem like a minute distinction to some, but it would be a determining factor for me as to whether I would DM that trip.

On a completely separate rant and just FTR, despite Karl's representations, forcing divers to be back ON BOARD with 500 psi remaining is definitely NOT a common practice on So Cal dive boats, and I for one would never dive with an operation that had such a stupid rule and I sure as hell wouldn't divemaster for them.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]