Re: Diver Survey - Why Did You Keep Diving

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Janie on February 24, 2003 at 22:03:55:

In Reply to: Diver Survey - Why Did You Keep Diving posted by seahunt on February 24, 2003 at 08:40:44:

The first class I took (June of 2001), I didn't make it through. It was so much more challenging than I thought, especially the beach diving. I was cold, all the weight I had to carry was killing me, it was too hard. I thought, the hell with it, this isn't fun, I'm not going to do it.

By the time the next summer rolled around, I was pissed at myself that I had quit. I may not be good at everything I try, but I don't quit before I give it a chance. And I couldn't stop thinking of my first OW dive...the sun shining through the kelp, the beautiful orange fishy looking right into my eyes (Ok, he was probably looking at his reflection in my mask LOL). I had to try it again.

This time, everything seemed so much easier. Maybe because I knew what to expect, maybe I was stronger from working out all winter. I don't know...but I was hooked.

The other people in my class were planning trips to exotic locations. Fiji, the Bahamas. Me...I wanted to go to Catalina and swim in the kelp again. I don't know if they continued or not. I don't know if they bought gear or not. I did. I knew those rental fees were going to kill it for me.

Now that I've bought all my gear, I can't afford any boat trips. And I can't let the thousands of dollars I spent sit in the closet. So I hit the beach every chance I get. It doesn't matter where...anywhere I go I find something interesting.

J

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]