SB281

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on April 18, 2003 at 13:28:22:

John Moore informed me today that next Tuesday SB281 goes to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources and Wildlife. This bill will open all marine preserves to rod and reel fishing.
I believe that sport fishermen in this state are getting a raw deal, but that is because the allowed commercial take is way to high.
Opening preserves to sport fishermen will not fix the problem, the preserves are part of the long-term solution which also must include a greatly reduced commercial take.
Because I oppose this bill I sent the following message to the committee members.

Dear Senator XXX,
I am writing you to oppose SB281 because it will open fishing in marine reserves, which I believe are vital to the recovery of our marine resource.
I have sport fished since 1963 and dove since 1983 in California and have watched the decline of our marine resources over the years. That is why I believe the integrity of our system of reserves is vital.
Sport fishing is a tradition that all Californians should be free to enjoy, however allowing fishing in reserves will only harm this, because the reserves will keep our overall sea life populations healthier. I believe the best way to support sport fishing is to redo the allocations of allowed take so that dominant allocation of what is allowed to be harvested from our waters goes to the sport fisherman, instead of the few commercial fishermen it now goes to.

Thank You,
Chris Grossman
XXXXXXX
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
310-XXX-XXXX

This was sent to patricia.hanson@sen.ca.gov, senator.kuehl@sen.ca.gov, senator.oller@sen.ca.gov, senator.alpert@sen.ca.gov, senator.bowen@sen.ca.gov, senator.denham@sen.ca.gov, senator.hollingsworth@sen.ca.gov,senator.ortiz@sen.ca.gov, senator.sher@sen.ca.gov, senator.torlakson@sen.ca.gov

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]