1st Long Beach U/W Cleanup...a short report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on April 20, 2003 at 14:10:05:

Over 40 volunteer divers reported for u/w cleanup yesterday. 35 went aboard the Marine Institutes 90' research boat,CONQUORER, and 5 or so were sent to a marina lagoon. Although 7 sites were targeted for cleanup, only one was hit with 4 teams of 8 divers each. Location was a stretch of breakwater from Queen's Gate east. Viz was near zero and trash was scarce; a tribute to the fact that the L.A./Long Beach harbor is one of the cleanest in the entire world. Divers accessed the sites from an Institute pontoon boat, so a lot of time was spent transfering tanks,gear, and divers from the stern of the CONQUORER to the pontoon, then back again after the divers returned. I came along as a spectator since my dermatologist nixed my peeling mug from touching mer madre.
Back at the Sea Scout Base/Marine Institute late afternoon, divers snacked on hot dogs and drinks provided by the Fire Department and received commemorative T shirts.
I suggested to the cleanup organizer, Chris Ward, that the cleanup should be twice a year, April and October, include other sites, and be open to divers with their own boats, such as I ;-)
For a first time effort, I would say the day was a success and will become an annual event. Next year I get wet, too, bad viz be damned!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]