Re: British Columbia Recommendations

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon on April 22, 2003 at 21:48:01:

In Reply to: British Columbia Recommendations posted by Eagle Ray on April 22, 2003 at 10:42:09:

As others pointed out, the best diving is off Vancouver Island and it gets better the further north you go up the island.

I went about half way up, to a place called Campbell River, and then crossed over to a little island called Quadra. I dove with www.abyssal.com and they were excellent. They run trips throughout the Discovery Passage -- which is famous for its ripping currents. All diving is done on the slack tide, but as the tide starts to flow it's a real wild ride. Walls, tons of life, etc. Food and lodging was great there too.

I've heard the best diving is out of Port Hardy at the northern tip of the island. I haven't been up there yet.

Another spot that I've heard good things about is Hornby Island, where sixgill sharks are common at certain times of year.

If you only have a chance to get as far as Victoria, you can do a quick dive off the breakwater. Ogden Point Dive Center runs regular evening dives and anyone can tag along. The water isn't as clear and the life isn't as prolific, but it was pretty easy to find wolf eels and octopuses there.

Most Victoria dive shops run regular day trips to Race Rocks and other local spots.

Have fun!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]