Re: The Captain's Call

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on April 25, 2003 at 19:38:43:

In Reply to: Re: The Captain's Call posted by Phyll on April 25, 2003 at 15:02:51:

My Dear Mr. Phyll,
I have thought all day about your post, and if I would respond. I think you deserve a response.
When I first bought the GE I had a few groups that wanted to continue to dive with me. It had nothing to do with me, as no one knew me. They liked the boat.
I have never forgotten these groups and treat them just a little different than others.
I have taken personal financial losses so the "Sea Divers" club could continue. If you do not believe this, and I am sure you do not, ask Alan.
As for wasting your time, F*****K off. Lets see. I called Alan the day before and told him we could not make the trip, and should cancel. (It cost me X amount for fuel, food that went bad, and the crew ate crow too. One of the crewmembers had made reservations at a hotel and after I called him back he went with us, only to lose his deposit for that hotel. So I am not very concerned about your time wasted.) Alan called back several hours later and said lets try. My mistake. That night I stayed up to talk to the fishing boats that came in. The other Captains laughed at me. It was that ruff.
I opted then to go to Catalina. I could have left that night. But the outcome would have been the same. Except you would not have slept. The swells and pounding would keep you awake.
As for Chris's comments. The GE can make it anywhere. The crew will complain, but we could have made it. Divers would have hated it. Seasickness is miserable, and most would have been. Vis would have been inches. I know this as I spend all my time at sea. You spend yours doing what you do.
For these reasons I took it very personal when several divers on return to the dock decided I was wrong. This though can be easily repaired.
If you, and other members of your club believe that I can no longer run my boat according to your standards, just let Alan know. I guarantee I can correct this by just one phone call.
Captain Tim Burke
Great Escape Charters

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]