Dive Report - Catalina - Saturday

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave J on June 01, 2003 at 14:24:33:

Did the 3 dive trip to Catalina yesterday on the Sundiver with a group of friends. We all had a great time. I wish I could tell you about the trip over, alas, I was asleep downstairs, the only way to pass the long trip to Catalina. We arrived at Lionshead (think that was the name) around 9am with heavy cloud cover, I was worried that it would be a cold and drab day. Geared up and had to stand in line while waiting for a class of open water students to assemble their gear. I wish the instructors had thought to have the students assemble their gear as they arrived or on the trip over. After pushing our way through the crowd we dropped over the side into 60 degree water and 25-30' vis. I dove this spot last month and I have to admit it seemed better before. My friends saw 2 batrays, an octopus, moray eel, and a hornshark, plus the usual critters, personally I saw just the typical critters, bad luck to have gotten split up from them I guess.

The sun broke through as we moved to the second dive site (sorry forgot the name) where we had better vis 25-35 and I saw some amazing schools of baitfish ( I was completely surrounded several times). Kelp bass were attacking and driving them into smaller balls, very cool. More batrays and horn sharks on this dive.

By time we entered the water for the 3rd dive there was barely a cloud in the sky. More baitfish and some huge sheepshead. Vis was again 25-35' and I loved the topography of this site.

Overall a great trip again on the Sundiver and to Catalina.

Dave

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]