RE: Bug Diving....

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jb22 on July 08, 2003 at 13:53:27:

In Reply to: Bugs posted by Alan on July 08, 2003 at 11:57:53:

You don't need any special permits, per se. You do need a valid California Saltwater fishing license, along with an 'ocean enhancement stamp', if you will be diving in So. California (south of Pt. Conception). You can get the fishing license from Big5, Sport Chalet, or any 'outdoor' type store, and you can obtain the 'bug gauge' from either dive shops, or Sport Chalet.

Another mandatory gear requirement is an 'approved measuring device' (AKA bug gauge) which will allow you to measure the bug properly.

I strongly recommend that you read the DFG requirements regarding the 'appropriate' measuring techniques, seasons, bag limits, restrictions on method(s) of take, etc. You may not use anything but your bare hands for taking them, for example. No spear-guns, knives, snares, etc can be used.

DFG officers will be in FULL FORCE during the first few days of the openning of the season. I had my boat searched thoroughly more than once (including looking in the gas tank!).

Just about any 'rocky' habitat can be productive. However, bug hunting is a LOT more productive at night, as the 'cock-roaches' of the sea come out and about to feed then.

However, do things at your comfort level. After certification, if you feel you want to, get some training for nighttime diving, or do some night diving with other more experienced divers. Not that there is too much more needed for night diving.... However, some just 'freak out' at night, and the slightest of problems that develop, can quickly turn into compounded issues, resulting in a disaster, if one does not keep it's cool, and think with his/her head.

Seahunt (see the seahunt's reports) has a lot of VERY informative, and interesting articles regarding bug hunting.

Hope this is helpful,

JB

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]