Diving Lake Powell

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mojo Mike on August 04, 2003 at 23:17:20:

In Reply to: What about Powell posted by Kevin H2O on August 04, 2003 at 09:35:07:

I have dove Lake Powell numerous times over the last 34 years. I have worked there, lived and visited there countless times. Ocean diving it is not. As long as you do not expect the quality of a ocean dive. You might not be disappointed.

I enjoy fresh water dives in certain locations. Florida Springs my favorite. Lake Powell cannot compare, but I have done many enjoyable dives at Lake Powell. Mostly at the end of the narrow canyons. Where there is submerged brush or rock piles to provide protection for sunfish. Numerous solitary catfish inhabit the steep sandstone underwater walls. The last time I dove Antelope canyon I saw about a 7-8 lb. largemouth bass. I also found and removed about a hundred golf balls.I have seen stripped bass there also, but they don't stick around long. The trout days are long gone at Lake Powell. Although it is legal to spearfish in about a half dozen lakes in Utah. I don't think Lake Powell is one them yet. Lake Powell gets deep very deep. The main channel is about 700 feet deep. Even the narrow side canyons can get deep.

There is a algae bloom that occurs at Lake Powell in late summer. There is a dive shop in Page, Arizona. That may be able to give you a visibilty report. The best diving is in the morning before the boats and afternoon winds. Get a chance to stir things up.

If I had plenty of room for my gear. I would take it. You might find a nice dive. It may be helpful if you drop something over the side. I prefer the upper end of the lake. The best of everything is there, including opportunities to get lost.

I still do fresh water diving, but nowadays in the high sierra mountains in California. About the same visibilty as Lake Powell, but now I drag my tanks up and down mountains.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]