Cambria/Morro Bay/San Simeon dives

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B. Xavier on August 25, 2003 at 22:39:29:

Yo: I just wanted to tell you a few things about diving the Central Coast (real Central Coast). Diving in Morro bay is great especially at Target Rock. This is in the inlet of Morro Bay and I have seen bad vis. (5 ft.) but also very good vis to 20 ft. Usually it is best to dive it a high nil tide or slack tide. This is a very simple underrated dive. Giant perch barred and rubbberlip can be speared here, along with an occasional rockfish. Watch out for the tide, it can pull you in or out depending on the time, and stay out of the middle of the channel; people die here because they ascend underneath boats. Stay in the rocks and live. I've only dove San Simeon a few times and the vis. can be both good and bad. I have seen big fish come out of the bay. Much of the bay almost to the point is very shallow- to about 30 feet. One day I walked all the way to the end of the beach and dove from there. I went halfway out to the point (white buoy) and saw lots of nice shells and a few halibut. Hard walk/hard swim. Suggest dive yak here or beach cart. Beach break can be fast so check out the day. Dove Cambria for the first time (except freediving) a few weeks ago and man what a great dive this was. Vis averaged 20-30 feet and fish everywhere. The old-timers say diving is better in Cambria and Cayucos than San Simeon. Large reds, black rockfish and lots of others. This place is definitely underrated. The rock formations reminded me of Coral St. in Monterey, but they were everywhere and went in all directions. Very wild place. Near Cambria Rock depth is 35-50 feet. I plan on diving this place in my Cobra
Fish & Dive this weekend. Access to Cambria Rock is from Leffingwell Landing, a very easy launch. Overall, the spearfishing is great and diving is great. Just be prepared for the days vis. is poor.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]