Re: Whatever happened to Tekna?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 16, 2003 at 18:00:33:

In Reply to: Re: Whatever happened to Tekna? posted by Chris on September 16, 2003 at 15:21:03:

As I recall, those guys bought out some of the old Tekna assets and the rights to the Tekna name but couldn't make a go of it. But from a dealership standpoint (we were a Tekna dealer) the business flow was from Tekna to Ocean Edge to Ocean Reef.

They made good stuff. The "Tekna Timer," which was probably introduced around 1979, was the first digital timer to track both your bottom time and your surface interval 9and was considered rather revolutionary at the time). And I'm still diving with a pair of Tekna Sprectre fins, which were one of the stiffest fins ever marketed and which I personally have really liked. Tekna was also one of the early companies to come up with a small, side-exhaust regulator. But they had some dog products too (I seem to remember some of the BCs being rather klunky) and that eventually caused some problems.

- Ken

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]