Re: Tis almost the season

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Half-tanked on September 24, 2003 at 14:36:14:

In Reply to: Tis almost the season posted by Elaine on September 24, 2003 at 12:38:57:

From Tuesday's LA Times...can you say "$pendy Lob$ster?"
Mark
_____
Spare the spear

Lobster season is four days away, but "poaching knows no season," said Mike Norris, a state Department of Fish and Game warden who recently broke up a crustacean-pilfering incident off the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

"When I saw three gentlemen going over the side of a boat in broad daylight with spear guns and dive lights, I called up wardens [Spencer] Gilbert and [Christian] Corbo and told them they might want to head my way on their skiff," Norris said via e-mail.

While Norris was shooting videotape that he says shows the men throwing bags over the side, Gilbert and Corbo arrived, dived to the bottom and recovered four bags containing 56 lobsters — all had been speared.

Various misdemeanor charges were filed last week against Keujae Choi, 45, of Glendale; Young Gu Lee, 39, of Northridge; and Jeong Woo Lee, 39, of La Crescenta.

The lobsters were donated to a Redondo Beach church that operates a kitchen for the homeless and people with AIDS.

Lobster season opens at 12:01 a.m. Saturday and runs through March 17. The bag limit is seven per day. They can be taken only by hand or hoop net; spearing is not allowed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]