Re: Abalone Cleaning & Protecting Pearl Finish

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AB on September 29, 2003 at 11:17:46:

In Reply to: Abalone posted by Harvey on September 05, 2002 at 12:31:50:

I cleaned a bunch of these a few years ago for Xmas presants. They turned out GREAT. Steps I used were as follows:

1) Scrub outside of shell with bleach & Warm water and scrub brush to remove slime & kelp.

2) coat inner shell with Vasoline or Mineral Spirits for protection during step 3.

3) Spray Muriatic Acid (pool acid) or Phosphoric Acid from a plastic spray bottle (like a windex bottle or at your ironing board). BE CAREFUL!!! You should do this in a well ventolated area and on a BUNCH of plastic trash bags and with rubber gloves. Try to spray a minimal amount at a time, and the shells will bubble as the acid reacts with the calcium. let sit for a few minutes, then dip the shell in a bucket of water and LOTS of baking soda to neutralize any remaining acid. Repeat if necessary. I had to do this 3 times to get all the barnicles off.

4) Clean inner pearl and shell area with warm soapy water and dry.

5) Coat entire shell (in & out) with a clear-coat schalck from home depot (or elsewhere). This brings out shine and protects it.

6) I chose to make these into candles. I pluged the 3-5 filter holes with tin foil and then filled the inner shell with red wax and 2 wicks. I also epoxied a small clam shell to the outside bottom to help it lay flat. They came out GREAT!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]