That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more.

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim Burke on October 27, 2003 at 20:03:17:

I did post to this for awhile because I thought I would piss off a few people. Well too bad. They are not my customers, and after this post I am sure that they will not be in the future, so I have nothing to lose.
Of all the things that I have been honored to talk about, and discuss, on this board, and other boards, this is the worst thing that I have ever had to lower myself to talk about.
DIR.
How dare you allow one of your representatives to talk about “fallen divers” in this manner. I had Andrew what’s his name on my boat a few weeks ago. He was arrogant, rude, and an asshole. I believe that a person or organization should lead by example. Andrew must be an example of DIR and to that end, a nothing. He already had the mind set that all the divers on my boat that were not DIR were shit. When I brought that up to a crewmember that is DIR (but dives alone) all he said was Andrew has a higher agenda. What the hell does that mean?
I have tried to remain neutral in this. I have watched DIR and others. But to have a DIR rep make such statements of the death of fellow divers only for the advancement of DIR is not acceptable.
I am not without problems. I looked over the books last night and most of today. I have had the honor of having over 42,000 divers on my boat. Thank you, thank you very much. I have had 1 death, and 12 divers taken to the Catalina chamber. (Not all were treated).
I believe that this is a very impressive safety record. You do the math. The odds of getting hurt on the GE are insignificant; in fact all boats in So Cal have around the same record. You the divers are the reason for this. You are, for the most part, very safe divers. Accidents do happen, and will continue to happen. No agency can stop this.
To this end, and comments of said reps of DIR, I wish them very safe diving, but not on my boat.

Captain Tim Burke
Great Escape Charters

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]