Re: Regulator, or snorkel in mouth when leaping off a boat

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chirs on October 31, 2003 at 15:19:02:

In Reply to: Regulator, or snorkel in mouth when leaping off a boat posted by Kaz on October 31, 2003 at 13:53:07:

Before I leap I put the regulator in my mouth, and while watching the pressure gauge take a few rapid deep breaths. I make sure the pressure gauge does not move when I do this to double check that my air is on.
I choose don't use a snorkel at all, especially in kelp, becasue they get caught on the kelp.
My proceedure varies depending upon what I am doing. In all cases I go with the regulator in my mouth.

note: The following proceedures are for dives where going down the anchor line is not essential.

1 no buddy, no camera
a)I make my giant stride into the water
b)flip over and kick down
3)head off on the dive.

2 no buddy, with camera
a)Gaint stride in
b)come back to the surface
c)retrive the camera
d)head down and on the dive.

3with buddy, no camera
c)wait for and watch buddy if I am first, find buddy by following bubbles if I am second.

4with buddy, with camera
b)come back to the surface
c)retrive the camera
c)wait for and watch buddy if I am first, find buddy by following bubbles if I am second.

Most times when in kelp I use the kelp as an aid to decend by going hand over hand on the kelp.

This is how I like to dive and it works for me, however each diver must evaluate what works best for themselves.

I hope that helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]