Sonke Mastrup (a diver) is acting director of DFG

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on November 07, 2003 at 04:20:05:

Yesterday Robert C. Hight, state Fish and Game director was appointed to the Sacramento Superior Court as a judge of by outgoing Governor Gray Davis.
A copy of his resignation letter to DFG staff follows:

Today is my last day serving as Director of DFG. Sonke Mastrup will be acting Director until further notice. I would like to personally thank you for all your hard work and dedication in preserving California's wildlife and natural resources. Working with you has been my pleasure. We have faced many difficult challenges, and I have been repeatedly impressed by your ability to rise to the occasion with great zeal. I am proud to be able to tell others I have worked with the greatest staff I have ever known.

Thank you again for all your hard work and dedication. I am sure DFG will continue to move in a positive direction. I hope our paths will cross again in the future. Best of luck to each and everyone of you.

Several years ago I went on opening four day lobster diving trip on the Great Escape with Sonke. I found him to be erudite, highly intelligent, well reasoned, and very practical.
For the past several years Sonke has been Deputy Director of the Wildlife and Inland Fisheries Division. However is very knowledgeable about the ocean environment and as a diver is personally familiar with many of the issues important to our community. Others from DFG I have talked with all respect and think very highly of him.
I am unsure if the director position is political or a Civil Service Post. Although Sonke will only acting be director for the moment, I cannot think of anyone I would rather personally see as lead Fish & Game. I intend to send our new Governor a letter supporting Sonke Mastrup as the permanent director.

Chris Grossman
diver.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]