Wreck Detectives TV show host dies in Palau

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Holman on December 12, 2003 at 12:53:29:

For those of you who watch the wreck detectives on
History Channel on Tuesdays at 7:00pm.

John Chatterton dives a rebreather it is unclear
what equipment Micheal Norwood was diving. He was
typically shown on a doubles rig with side slungs.

Regards, Andy

KOROR, Palau -- A host of a History Channel series featuring sunken ships drowned during a 250-foot dive to the USS Perry, a World War II wreck. Michael Norwood, 36, an experienced British scuba diver and instructor for deep dives, had visited the wreck twice, but experienced yet unexplained difficulties Saturday, said Christopher Cassel, the producer of "Deep Sea Detectives." Norwood reportedly died as two fellow divers tried to bring him to the surface. "This is a tremendous loss for everyone involved," Cassel said. "He was a very experienced and very enthusiastic participant in the series. He also was very kind and charismatic, and he will be deeply missed by his family and friends." The Perry survived the bombing of Pearl Harbor, but was sunk Sept. 13, 1944, when it struck an underwater mine. The Perry was attempting to clear the mines for the invasion of the Japanese-held islands two days later. Located from 240 to 260 feet off the island of Angaur and often subject to strong currents, the Perry is accessible only to expert divers using specialized equipment. Recreational divers rarely break the 100-foot mark and are advised never to pass 130 feet. During the first two days of diving, the crew reached the wreck but was unable to film because of strong currents, Cassel said. On the third day, the currents subsided enough to film, but when Norwood reached 250 feet, he signaled to two fellow divers he had run out of air, Cassel said. "He reported he was out of air, but he had reserve tanks," Cassel said. "We are not sure why he did not switch to his reserve tanks." A statement released from the Palau Ministry of Justice said it is unknown whether the death occurred because of "diver error or health problems." An autopsy has not yet been performed. After Norwood signaled he was out of air, Cassel said, the other two divers attempted to bring him to the surface while sharing their air with him. But Norwood lost consciousness during the long, slow ascent, and drowned. Norwood is expected to be flown to London for his burial.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]