My first adventures with underwater digital

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on December 26, 2003 at 20:20:14:

In Reply to: Pictures from Santa Cruz Island posted by Chris on December 26, 2003 at 04:03:37:

Chris was oh so kind as to let me play with his housed Olympus D40 while he hunted lobster. These were my first ever underwater digital photos. My impressions were:

a. The basics are pretty much the same as for film.
b. The shutter delay is a distracting factor and does add an extra challange.
c. The instant feedback is a really nice feature. I find one of the big challanges underwater to be getting the strobe lighting right. With digital, you can for the most part, sit there until you are happy with the results, at least for stationary objects.
d. The small size and weight are awesome, much more practical than most film set-ups.
e. In an ideal world you could set the shot up using digital and play with it until it comes out "right" - then transpose the elements that work into the same shot with a film camera.
f. If I were buying my first underwater camera - I would definitely buy digital.

Thank you so much Chris for the opportunity. The next time you see me, you had better hang on tight to your camera - it made my fun meter go off the scale. Now that I've had a taste, I bet I could do a lot better next time. Also, thanks for not posting my bottom of the learning curve photos, and there were a lot of them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]