Dive report; New Caissons

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on January 24, 2004 at 15:54:49:

I haven't dived a new spot for many years. That's Okay with me, as I love diving the sites I hit now, but it's always exciting to dive something new. Ross-O has been playing around with a mapping program to find new sites off Pt. Fermin. Last week we found a second Caisson from the oil rigs off Summerland. Between 1972-1975 the Caissons were dumped in an area known as LA-2 off Pt. Fermin. I had been diving one of the Caissons for years and had heard of others, but could never find them, until this week. They are thirty foot tall structures that resemble giant figure-8s, with one end open. The one we dived this morning is identical to the other one I've dived, with notable exceptions. It is about ten feet shallower with the top at 110 feet and there are several fishnets covering it. I placed a temporary downline and float to the top for a return trip tomorrow. The video I shot today will be available for viewing at Pacific Wilderness dive shop on 17th and Pacific in San Pedro. When you stop in ask to see the Caisson video from Phil Garner.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]