Fish finders, Radios, and Overfishing

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melvin on January 29, 2004 at 08:14:23:

In Reply to: Re: And another thing... posted by old man of the sea on January 28, 2004 at 22:54:48:

There is none so blind as those that will not see.

Los Angeles use to have a booming sardine industry. Where is it now? Gone with the sardines due to overfishing. Been to any local Abalone barbeques lately? Gone with the abalonies.

The time to "see" is before the fish are all gone.

Times have changed. I use to be a fisherman went out with a line and a hook and caught fish. Now is it miles long nets.

Use to be a fisherman went out and used his best skills to find fish. Now it is fishfinder sonar, satalite photos, and ocean bouy sensors providing information that allows him to drop a net exactly where the fish are. I read a long article a few years back about how technology has increased the number of days a commercial fisherman can be out to sea by reducing his down time (calling ahead for parts etc) and the use of technology to contribute to the denuding of our ocean.

I am sorry, but there are simply too many spiecies that are no longer here, or no longer here in commercial numbers that once were plentiful for to support your anti-fish hugging argument. The simple fact is, the ocean is overfished.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]