Re: Hey Brad...

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on January 29, 2004 at 20:27:03:

In Reply to: Hey Brad... posted by stephen clark on January 28, 2004 at 21:50:30:

The feeling is mutual Stephen, i assure you~

It is inevitable that at some point in time, EVERY commercial fishery will reach the point of diminished returns whether it be biological or market driven. The question remains; at what point will the powers that be draw the line...?

The history of our fisheries is the only science we have to prove the shortcomings of our managers and the evidence does not flatter them....

i don't want to hammer the point home, but it is worth repeating that every collapse has been presided over by a biologist who was either unwilling or unable to stop the depletion as it was occurring.

There is one notable exception; DFG biologist Paul Gregory was instrumental in implementing the moratorium on the Giant Sea Bass back in 81.' We need to sing the praises of those early pioneers! Mr. Gregory has my deepest respect for his determination and foresight. Every encounter with a Giant can be attributed to this man's devotion to the fish, rather than his acquiescence to the rec and commercial pressures. Here we are some 20 years later and the most spectacular resident of OUR waters is still there. The mere sighting of a Giant is the indisputable highlight of any excursion. The GSB is an excellent example to follow, it may have taken years to see the benefits, but it was well worth the wait!

Mr. Sonke has been good enough to address this forum and i fully accept that he not address my posts specifically as long as he continues to be a part of this never ending discussion....(Please forgive me if i have applied any undue pressure)

Protect that which you value!

Brad

(loves the sea)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]