How about a supplimental regulation to the law?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on February 25, 2004 at 18:28:14:

In Reply to: Re: perhaps the law needs to change posted by Sonke on February 25, 2004 at 07:48:29:

That doesn't sound very encouraging...

If the garabaldi can be 100% protected then so can the Giants. A healthy population of Giants has the potential to be the single greatest tourest/diving draw Southern California has to offer.

The dept. is always using the word "opportunity" as it applies to the recreational angler. May i suggest that the dept. start to view the Giants as a major opportunity for Southern California divers and related businesses. i understand that where there is no killing, there is no revenue, but with some vision and creativity that dilemma can be solved. The bottom line is, the Giants are infinitely more valuable alive and available for viewing than they are for table fare! As someone who has had his heart and soul pressed against the pulse of our fisheries for the last 20 years, i want to be on record as giving a heads up on the value of these most impressive residents of OUR waters. The commercial exploitation of the Giants must be addressed. For the price of a Mexican permit, commercial fishermen can take all the Giants they want and that is absolutely unacceptable.

As many places on earth are loosing their giants to poaching, OUR Giants will become increasingly valuable as a diving attraction. That is a reality that the dept. needs to address, the sooner the better. i bet Mr Gregory can come up with a few good ideas...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]