UB88 rumors. +

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on March 12, 2004 at 19:14:37:

I feel the need to stem a few rumors going around the SoCal dive community. My friends and I have not found the UB88, yet. It is a major goal of mine, but only a single piece of the goal we have set. We hope to one day know the location of every wreck in the San Pedro Channel. When I first got certified in the 80s I met several divers and fishermen who had looked for the sub for close to forty years. Some had erroneously claimed to know the location, but the team that found it last August proved them wrong. Kendall, we're not trying to step on anyone's toes here. We are simply trying to find elusive wrecks, of which the UB88 is one. Imagine if noone had followed Columbus. For many divers, the Andrea Doria is the Holy Grail. Some have been disappointed when that goal was attained. See Fred for more. :-) For me, the UB88 has always been the brass ring of diving, without the brass, of course.
None of the guys involved in our search own a speargun or carry tools underwater with them. We would like nothing more than to share in the awe of visiting an elusive target filled with more life than any other known site in California. I believe we are on the right track to finding this and other wrecks. My ultimate goal is to dive it, share it, and see to it that it remains a pristine dive site, even if it is "just an artificially sunk boat".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]