Re: Measuring lobsters?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on April 03, 2004 at 17:06:53:

In Reply to: Measuring lobsters? posted by jlyle on April 03, 2004 at 06:58:24:

>You said, when measuring your bugs "If it fell off, it was short. If it stayed, it was
>legal. I shoved it in the bag." I thought it was go or no-go on the gauge.
Actually, use a micrometer on your gauge and you will find that it is smaller than 3 1/4 inches by at least at least 3 thousandths, perhaps more.
The F&G always use your gauge.
So if you are measuring from back of the carapace to the front of the horns, figure if it is close, you can always force the gauge on. If you force the gauge on, even a little bit, then technically it is legal. To make sure, I hold the lobster upside down. If the gauge still stays on, it was forced and the bug is legal.
>You also measured your bugs on the boat? Isn't that a no-no?
Yah. But figure it this way. Even if I gauge them under water, I'm going to gauge them again on the boat, perhaps repeatedly if they are close. So, what's the difference? I am pretty good at estimating anyway, especially after gauging one UW. I also go by feel. That is quite good. It depends where you are too. At say Blue Banks, SD or SCI, I've found lots of bugs that are extremely close. At Nic, there is likely to be no question. Frankly, I don't feel bad about tossing back a short or two. At the same time, in a place where there are lots of sheepheads, they may attack the lobsters on the way down. Trappers used to kill thousands that way. That problem is less these days, but should not be forgotton.
I don't have shorts at the docks.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]