Re: Environmentalists target bond funds to buy boats, ocean land

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jake on April 05, 2004 at 00:18:34:

In Reply to: Environmentalists target bond funds to buy boats, ocean land posted by . on April 04, 2004 at 19:34:54:

A couple of questions maybe the enviros can respond to.

California tends to use a commission-type system to manage public resources like the Coastal Commission and State Lands Commission. Why do we now need a cabinet-level Oceans Commission (or whatever they want to call it?) Please don't quote the Pew Commission report, I read it. And anyone who thinks the coastal commission stops at the coastline hasn't been in the water lately.

Why are we passing bond issues to buy more private property (boats) that depreciate? It seems to me if catch is dwindling and costs are going up the market will force the operators out of business without a bailout from the State.

They are using the bond money to buy scuba research time? Since when do bond issues that are a way to finance capital projects get used for operating expenses.

Why is the Nature Conservancy California project based out of Arlington, VA. I lived in Arlington, interesting place for a coastal program 3000 miles removed from the coast.

Do we really want to believe that NRDC or the Oceans Conservancy gives a rat's ass about California oceans other than to protect the prerogatives of their fat-cat sponsors?

How 'bout it from all the ocean enviros? Your responses should be quite entertaining.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]