Re: Divers Day at Aquarium of the Pacific vs LA Zoo

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger on April 06, 2004 at 22:59:33:

In Reply to: Divers Day at Aquarium of the Pacific vs LA Zoo posted by Robert on April 06, 2004 at 12:55:06:

Monterey bay aquarium has kelp, AOP has colored cement and plastic. They say kelp is too hard to keep.

Besides the kelp, another thing I don't like about the AOP is that in any given tank, only a few of the fish will have ID cards or labels. They have very few signs, they try to make up with some brochures with ID, but they are incomplete (and usually scarce). Last time I was there there was no ID on the big napoleon wrasse in the pacific tank. I've decided that they don't want to ID the fish, they don't want you to spend too long looking in the tank. They have to keep people moving to get enough people through there to pay their bills. They are pretty proud of themselves, they have a nice website on their animal husbandry, but no direct link to it from their site or any sign up about it in the aquarium: http://www.aophusbandry.org/ it's a real shame. I like the cabrillo aqurium a lot more.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]