film vs digital - thinking about options

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on April 15, 2004 at 10:57:28:

In Reply to: Re: beautifull photo--thoughts on annalog technology posted by Scott on April 15, 2004 at 08:02:59:

I like film. It has its limitations. However, technology in digital is still evolving. As long as you have that origional piece of film, and, the ability to transfer it to a digital format you can participate in the best of both worlds. Presently manufacturers are decreasing the amount and variety of films that they produce. If all that they leave in the market place are less capable films then what is the point of staying with film? Answer - there won't be a reason. Historically, the "classics" tend in the end to survive once market swings stabilize. I'm willing to bet that someday Kodachrome 25 will be out there agin - just not in the future that we can see right now.

I'm heavily invested in film. I'm taking a serious look at my film equipment and deciding what the strongest features of each piece are. A Nikonos and a framer can come up with images that a housed system won't. Housed systems can do things that a Nikons can't. For film photographers this is a great time to really evaluate quality, not quantity, and there has to be something in film that speaks to your heart to stick with it.

There is a reason Baskin Robins makes 41 flavors - there is something for everyone and each to their own.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]