thoughts on backplate...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger on April 19, 2004 at 22:50:11:

In Reply to: BC choice, OMS or Zeagle posted by K J on April 19, 2004 at 16:53:05:

I've worn out a zeagle ranger and a seaquest black diamond, and now I have a backplate, a fredT, with a halcyon 28# wing.

I got tired of the zeagle because it's lack of structure made it tough to change tanks on small boats.

I got tired of the black diamond, it was just too big, too much drag, too much junk.

I do like the backplate, it is streamlined and comfortable, and it does stay put. But it's overkill for me, I'm strictly a single tank guy. It's a pain to travel with. It tears up all the gear that gets near it. It's uncomfortable to carry down to the boat with a tank on it. It's unwelcome on friends boats, it really tears up fiberglass. I'm afraid to leave it in the water next to aboat as I get out, if it hits the boat, that's a huge chunk out of the gelcoat under the waterline. It hurts to carry. It's damaged my drysuit zipper. It's like an axe murderer.

It may turn out to be the first BC I get rid of before it wears out. I'm thinking about a transpac and travel wing.

And I vote no on halcyon, too. It's the first BC bladder I've ever put a hole in. When I called them to ask which glue they recommended for a repair (and hoping for some good warrantee service) I got a lot of attitude. Like, only a fool who wants to die repairs BCs, buy a new one. What are you bothering us for? you're already dead.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]