Simple...KIS method

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Robert m on May 03, 2004 at 10:13:22:

In Reply to: Accounting methods posted by Jeff Shaw on May 02, 2004 at 21:14:27:

My approach was taught to me many years ago, thanks to Kevin and John, and is through yet simple. Here are The simple rules I was taught and remember that we made it a challenge to remember all the names of the divers by the end of the first dive.;

1. Sign the divers in in the morning. Gives you an initial face to face, check cards and get the wavers done.
2. While divers are suiting up, spend time on the deck watching so you can do the face, name to outfit association.
3. Prior to the first dive get a accurate tank count and clarify with the crew to let you know if they pull a tank from below.
4. Only one person signs in/out divers for any one dive.
5. Check all divers off the boat with a time notation on your slate.
Check all divers back on the boat with a time notation on your slate.
6. Count / check tanks and have an other crew member check tank count.
7. If at any time I have any question or doubt, role call. Since you signed them all in and by this time you have most if not all the names down, this role call should do.

In over 9 years of being a DM, I have never left a diver and only came close once. The once was when someone else thought they would help out while I was on the swim step and checked in the wrong diver on the slate.

If you do like I do and spend so much effort trying to remember all the names, you will know who is on/off the boat at any moment.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]