PADI has a place (plus some ramblings and ravings)

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on May 14, 2004 at 07:29:02:

In Reply to: is there anyone on diver.net that likes PADI?? posted by TechDiver on May 13, 2004 at 19:02:53:

PADI started me on diving, but I was lucky to have an instructor who was NAUI trained and who went beyond the PADI minimums. I also went through Rescue as part of my initial training. I consider Rescue the minimum level of PADI competency for a beginner. In other words, I wouldn't even issue a C-Card unless Rescue training were taken. And then you're just a newbie. "Advanced OW" PADI is a joke as its being taught by the big retail store...after 200 dives, you might be "advanced" - depends on if you dove under many different conditions, especially strong currents. Does PADI even cover using a knife to help you crawl along the sand when an unexpected current hits you off a place like Point Dume?

While I'm ranting, I'd also require re-certification every "X" years...maybe 5, 8 or so. Just a one day or exam where you can prove to a DM or instructor that you have the smarts to turn your air on before descending or don't fight a rip... Our tanks must be hydro'd every 5 years, why not the diver?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]