Dive Report: Miguel, Grace, & Cruz on the Peace

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on May 17, 2004 at 23:01:11:

On May 7-9 I went on a two day trip with the Sea Divers to San Miguel Island, Oil Rig Grace, and Santa Cruz Island on the Peace.
We arrived at skyscraper, a pinnacle northwest of Miguel at about 7:30 AM.
The water was fairly green on the surface, but the visibility opened up at around 70 feet.
Water Temp was about 53°F I took some nice pictures of skyscraper with a couple of cool shots of a large decorator crab.

Our next site was Egg Rock, in the passage between Rosa & Miguel. The water here was 54°F, and a bit green. Unfortunately I only got one good picture when I took of the wide angle. There was a smudge on the inside I missed that ruined the rest of the pictures.

We then moved to a site west of Castle Rock that Eric calls the canyons. The visibility here was about 40 feet once you made below 40 feet. Everyone liked this spot so much we stayed for two dives. The water temperature was a warmer 55°F. Chris C. and Bob D. both got quite nice stringers full of large Vermillion Rockfish. I took some very nice pictures on these two dives.

Our next dive was near Castle Rock. I sat this one out.

For the night dive, we were in about 40 ft. In Culyer Harbor. I used my new florescence photography filters and got some very cool photos.

The next morning we made two dives at Oil Rig Grace. On the first dive I took pictures, and on the second I gathered some very nice scallops.

After those two dives we moved to Scorpion Rock at Santa Cruz for the last two dives of the day. This area has quite a few brittle stars, tube anemones, and sheep crab, all of which I got pictures of.

The service aboard the Peace was great and everyone seemed to really enjoy this trip.
I took some topside pictures as well on the trip with my new Olympus 8080.

…..Chris

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]