Licensing lobster hunters.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on May 27, 2004 at 12:20:16:

In Reply to: Re: SSA , Woodland Hills. posted by JasonN on May 27, 2004 at 08:50:54:

People can say anything that they want to long after the fact. I don't hunt lobsters, never have and never will. I would assume that "very, very short lobsters" would mean something that I could fit into a 1:2 framer, or, maybe a 1;3 framer - I don't know - I've never measured lobsters with a Nikonos framer on the surface. What motivation does this person have to try and turn me into a Fish and Game official armed only with a Nikonos framer? That is extremely inappropriate, absurd, and malicious.

It sounds to me, that if this person had a legitimate concern then maybe he should have brought out his gage and measured the lobsters himself. Did he do this?

Let us assume that having knowledge that I don't, he brought out his gage and measured the lobsters and found that they were short. What would HIS responsibility have been? What would have been the appropriate thing to do to the lobster hunters? What would have been the appropriate thing to do with the lobsters?

I dive at night to see the different marine life that is out and about. I don't want to see any of it harmed or harassed. I have always wondered why people who are granted licenses to fish aren't required to pass a certification course first demonstrating basic competency first. When you get a drivers license you have to at least take a written and an get behind the wheel and show me you can do it test. If you bring up short lobsters, why isn't your lobster license revoked and a requirement made that you have to take a "lobster training class"? Makes sense to me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]