Last Saturday's Mendocino County Abalone Dive

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on June 09, 2004 at 21:24:06:

Curt Billings measuring his biggest abalone for the day.

Last Saturday morning June 6, 2004 my friend Curt Billings and I went for an abalone dive. The surf had been big, but it calmed enough we decided to go for it. The spot we selected to go out did not seem to have any abalone in shallow areas even though there was a minus tide. Thus we continued out to where the depth was about 20 feet. There were many abalone here, but they were at the depth limit of my free diving ability. The visibility was about 2 feet with a bright sun overhead. Even so, I managed to get three nice abs all between 8¼” and 8¾”. Curt also got three nice ones including one that was well above 9” as illustrated by his 9” trophy gauge in the picture. While we were out the surf grew and I was somewhat resigned to getting worked on the shallow rocks when returning to shore. We paddled to just outside the breakers and waited. Just as I though the lull was due to start I headed for shore and we both managed to make it in before the next big set came through. I was very happy for the day, we both got nice abalone and we didn’t get worked in the surf zone.

Click here for all of the pictures for the day

pictures & text © Chris Grossman

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]