Satyed at Sangalaki Island July 1999

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dawhale on June 29, 2004 at 18:24:14:

In Reply to: ecology of Jellyfish Lake posted by on June 29, 2004 at 09:10:43:

My wife and I stayed for a week at Sangalaki Island in July 1999. The facility was excellent and the diving wonderful. Sangalaki translated means “manta man". Depending on the moon and tides their can be many in the nearby dive sites. I dove and snorkeled with them all week. I shoot video and put together one for this area including our dive in Jellyfish Lake. It is my understanding the commercial turtle egg collection on Sangalaki Island has been purchased by its new owner Ron Holland. Ron bought to protect the eggs. When we were on the island I watched the collectors dig up the eggs and haul them off in a sack. At the time we had five grand kids and thru the dive operation then, Borneo Divers, we bought five turtle nests at $20 ea. It was pretty cool. The nests were marked, showing they had been purchased, and our grand kid’s names posted. My wife stood next to each nest and I videoed her showing each grand kid their nest. After we returned home Borneo Divers took a picture of our turtles hatching and we shared them with the grand kids. We combined our trip to Sangalaki with a few days at Sipadan Island in Malaysia. Great trip. Thanks for the update on this area. Headed to Komodo Island this year. Four and a half weeks and counting. dawhale

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]