Re: Dive report @ Leo Carillo-south 7/11

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by So Cal Divin on July 14, 2004 at 21:53:18:

In Reply to: Dive report @ Leo Carillo-south 7/11 posted by Andrew Spring on July 12, 2004 at 11:46:26:

South. One of Thanks for the report Andrew I love Leo Carrillo, my AOW Instructors told me about the swim through. I found a nice mini canyon with a deep vertical hole on the other side. If you line up with the red lifegaurd tower near the stairs just before the kelp you'll find it. Sounds like it's close to the swim through's. Didn't have any directions to the swim through so thanks for the directions I'll have to look for it next time.

Dove Old Marineland on 7/11 at high tide for the first time. Went in at the point were the real rocks are wasn't that bad getting in even easier getting out. Borrowed my other dive buddies E8-119 water heater(won't make that mistake again) came up with 1250 psi to my buddies 600 psi steel 95. The trek to and from the truck was brutal. Bringing my AL-80 next time. Headed straight out from the pointe in 40' of water and worked our way east into deeper water vis was 10-15' of crap and was cold 55 Suunto deg. from 40-60' but tolerable.

Headed back west into shallower water 35' and voila beautiful clear vis 25-30'+ and tropical water. Beautiful reef structure with purple urchins everywhere just like Leo, South. Wild life was sparse until I looked behind me and there they all were. Female sheepshead, rubber lip perch, kelp bass and a school of senoritas that seemed to be shadowing us. They were following us the whole time. Spotted a healthy sized male sheepshead in a mini cave who vanished upon futher investigation. In the same cave was the only bug seen on the dive. Of course this was all in a span of 10 min. and it was the end of our dive so we surfaced to spot our location from the surface for future dives. Directly in front of us was a green bldg. on the bluff and to the west the lighthouse was lined right up with our spot. Dive time was 51 min. 61' max and average 44'.
When we got back to the truck there were a group of 4 divers gearing up to go in so we let them know were to head too. 2 other divers came out with a flatty as we were loading up.

All in all a nice dive but alot of work. Ilearn something new on every dive. Stay shallow, stay west and bring my AL-80 next time.

Sea ya Jeff Gray

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]