Up to 12ft viz and poor White Point

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bch Divr on July 18, 2004 at 18:56:10:

In Reply to: Dive report Whites Point 7/18 posted by Jeff shaw on July 18, 2004 at 12:35:20:

We had better than 10 ft viz at 35 ft depth along the east finger reef. We didn't see many fish, either, but did find a beautiful sunflower star, scallops (unusual for this location), a few rock fish. Other Sandeaters reported halibut, lobsters, crabs, octopi and jellies. The commonly found fish species were all small individuals. Giant kelp was growing but had not reached the surface yet. I did note that there was less trash in the shallow water than usual.
With the parking barriers placed to prevent access to the cove, the $7 entrance fee, and the self-parking fee machines, I believe there will be very little future diving at White Point. I do consider it a "must dive" site for the general LA area, both to see the vents and the historical location. As Elaine noted, on a good day, it has plenty to offer and, fortunately, I have dived it on a few good days.
On the other hand, the size of the fish stock is worrisome. If we understood the problems affecting the fish there, perhaps we could improve the entire Bight.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]