Re: Trip Report: Diving in Southern California Hyperbaric Chambers

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by pasley on August 14, 2004 at 14:23:00:

In Reply to: Trip Report: Diving in Southern California Hyperbaric Chambers posted by Elaine on August 14, 2004 at 10:43:19:

Elaine,
Thanks for sharing your story. Unfortunately in our diving world, when you tell anyone that you have been bent, sometimes you are treated like you are a "bad diver" with a communicable disease. If you ask around, it is more common that you might think.

I too was bent in 2001. Took the ride in the little cigar tube pictured in your story at Long Beach Memorial. By way of size, there is exactly four fingers of room between your nose and the inside of the glass. Not exactly spacious.

One important lesson learned is non dive medicine Doctors are usually clueless about DCI. I spent 4 hours in emergency with the chamber people waiting on them to release me to the chamber doctor who knew what the $#&@ is was doing. The medicals all said “DCI or Bends” What’s that? I never got any O2 or IV the entire time until I was in the chamber. When it comes to DCI you really have to be your own doctor and talk with DAN in NC. They have the expertise.

I hope all resolves well for you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]