Atlantic side is your best bet

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on August 26, 2004 at 12:06:55:

In Reply to: Does anyone recommend areas for snorkeling in the Tampa FL area? posted by Kylecawaza on August 24, 2004 at 14:23:52:

K.:

Have been to Tampa on numerous occaisions for business, and have done a lot of beachcombing in the Madeira/Redington/Indian Rocks/Bellair area. I've even tried snorkeling there, but vis was ZERO (really!) everytime I tried. Also, certain times of the year there are stingrays, with lots of signs posted warning you to be careful in the shallow waters.

Divers I talked to said that it stays shallow and there is little to see close to shore. One guy said that most diving was done out of the fast cigar boats after cruising out into the gulf for an hour (20 miles off shore).

For what its worth, you may want to consider trying to get wet when you are on the east coast. There are lots of good shore access sites in West Palm, Boynton, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

One other option: consider snorkelling in Crystal River. During the winter you can see Manatees. I think there is a dive shop that specializes in this - try a search for Crystal River Divers.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]