Excellent story and pics!!!

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on September 19, 2004 at 22:34:35:

In Reply to: Fort Ross posted by seahunt on September 19, 2004 at 21:53:08:

That is the same exact place where I learned to ab dive with 'ol Mike Stuart AKA "grumpy old fart" He was great.
Once after I gained some experience and got comfortable, one time we went there he ditched me to go raid his "secret spot". Just then a HUGE set came through of 12 footers and ripped my dive float away from me sending it all the way back to shore and taking me for a ride. After it was all over I looked around for Mike not realizing yet that he had taken off for greener pastures. Well after freaking out figuring he drowned I see him sitting on a rock about 500 feet away.
Turns out right when that set came through he was on the outside of a big wash rock and when the first one hit it landed him on top of the rock on his back with his head facing the next huge wave which he saw coming at him (upside down).There was nothing he could do. The second wave hit with such force that it sucked his fins right off his feet and blew him clean off the wash rock down off the other side. We never had a hope of finding his fins. We did find his tube down at the other end end of the cove about a quarter mile away.
Then when he would change back into his clothes at the car he would bare all as he changed in the middle of the road cause he didn't like to get gravel on his feet or gear. Cars would honk and yell out the window and he would wave.

Those were good times!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]