Walled by Yellowfin right off the beach

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on September 26, 2004 at 13:11:55:

Thought i was taking the good skiff on a run back to the Island of The Blue Dolphins last Friday afternoon, but got beat back by the wind and seas.... :(

So... i hung out at SBI for the day and night hoping for a lull in the morn so i could run to nic. Didn't happen...

On the way home from SBI i came across a big kelp paddy about 24nm from the LA light. I slung the skiff alongside, dropped the anchor a few feet to keep it from drifting away from the kelp. I put a can of jack mackeral in a ziplock bag and hung it over the side as chum then slipped into the water...

I love swimming in open water! I swim down until i am beyond the piont of equal bouyancy and just sink out and watch the kelp fade away....Then do it again~ :)

anyway i had seen a small school of tiny yellowtail and tried to get some pictures, but it was tough..

The wind was picking up so i made my way back to the skiff. I had just taken off my mask and snorkle when i see some splashes on the surface about 30 yards upswell. I grab the mask and camera and flip back into the water. I'm frantically swimming to where the splashes were and i see a wall of baby YFT! There were probably 40 fish, 4-5lbs. A thin veneer 40ft tall and about 15 seconds in duration. The fish were in drab muted colors, fat and grey with no distinguishing brilliance but for who they were...

It was a fabulous encounter and just goes to show that you never know who will show up, no matter where you are!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]