Gov. Schwarzenegger unveils California ocean protection action plan

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on October 22, 2004 at 14:51:42:

SACRAMENTO, CA (10/21/04) -- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled an ocean protection plan
this week that will set a national standard for the management of ocean and coastal resources.

"California has a proud history and tradition of protecting our ocean," Governor Schwarzenegger said. "And we have the same kind of proud history and tradition of leading the country in our efforts to make sure that all of our oceans are clean, safe and productive."

Governor Schwarzenegger commissioned the action plan, Protecting Our Ocean: California's Action Strategy, following the state's input to the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy and the Pew Oceans Commission for a report that they have sent to President Bush.

"I asked for this plan because I wanted California to go above and beyond what was being recommended on the federal level," Governor Schwarzenegger said. "I wanted California to have its own ocean action plan because it is a place that we are duty bound to protect, today, tomorrow and forever."

The action plan has four primary goals:

The action plan sets forth a new approach to improve
the way California's ocean is governed. It directs the assessment of the ocean's economic contribution to California and the nation. It develops a forward looking strategy for research, education, and technical advances and it improves the stewardship of ocean resources.

The ocean protection plan sets forth the following immediate actions:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]