Re: No spring chickens ;-)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on October 24, 2004 at 12:37:38:

In Reply to: No spring chickens ;-) posted by Mojo Mike on October 24, 2004 at 09:56:40:

I learned to dive with a horse collar BC in 1983. I then moved to a jacket BC, and then a tech back plate and wings. It was after 16 years of diving with a BC that I tried an old-fashioned backpack sans BC. I immediately loved it, and have dove that way most of the time since. Most of the other people who dive backpacks have similar stories. There are some who learned that way originally, but that is the exception these days.
Diving with a backpack sans BC should really only be attempted by very experienced divers and is not always the best technique to use; there is no one gear configuration or technique that is optimal for all dives. Backpacks are not appropriate for decompression diving, and I find I like to use a BC sometimes when I take pictures. I will also put on a BC when I dive with novice divers since they are still learning by mimicking me.
I have found that most (but not all) experienced divers that learn to dive with a backpack love it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]